Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate
Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate

Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate
Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate
Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate
City Selection:
House: Condo:
Price Range:
Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate
Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate

Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate
Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate
Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate
Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate

Other Real Estate Related Links



Questions and Answers on:Real Estate Closings


Real Estate Closings
 In the typical residential real estate transaction, a buyer offers to purchase property from a seller. After negotiating the price and terms, the buyer and seller sign an offer to purchase and contract, and the buyer gives the seller (or the seller’s agent) an earnest money deposit to show good faith in the transaction.

    A real estate “closing” is the ?nal step in the transaction. At closing, the buyer pays the purchase price to the seller (usually with the proceeds from a loan), and the seller gives the buyer a deed transferring title to the property to the buyer. Also, funds are paid to an appraiser, home inspector, and/or other service providers, and to pay off banks or others who may have claims against the property.

    This pamphlet focuses on questions frequently asked about residential real estate closings. The questions raised are of special concern to real estate purchasers. Consequently, they are posed from the standpoint of the purchaser.

Q: Does a “loan commitment letter” guarantee that I have a loan to buy the property?
A: No. The standard form Offer to Purchase and Contract requires you to use your best efforts to obtain a loan before a speci?ed date. If the seller requests it, you must give the seller a copy of your loan commitment letter within 5 days following the written request. A loan commitment letter does not guarantee that the lender will make the loan. It simply means that, based upon an initial review, your credit appears suf?cient to qualify you for the necessary loan amount. After issuing the letter, the lender may refuse to approve your loan if there are
any changes in your employment, creditworthiness, or other changes which might affect your ability to repay the loan. The lender reserves this right until the deed is recorded transferring title and the loan proceeds are actually disbursed at closing.

Q: What kind of inspections do I really need to have to find out about the condition of the property?
A: A number of inspections are highly recommended. They should be provided for in the purchase contract, even if they are not required by the lender. Remember, the standard Offer to Purchase and Contract states that “closing shall constitute acceptance of the property in its then existing condition unless provision is otherwise made in writing.” In other words, once closing is completed, you may be found to have accepted the property in its existing condition. The most important inspections are:

The most important inspections are:

Home Inspection
A home inspector typically examines the condition of the property, including the plumbing, heating, cooling, and electrical systems, and the structural components. In North Carolina, professional home inspectors must be licensed. Read the home inspection report carefully, and be sure to ask the seller to complete all repairs permitted in the purchase contract. Not having a home inspection may save you money “up front”, but it could be very costly if you ?nd after closing there is a major defect in the property. You may also need additional inspections performed by a specialist, such as an electrician, heating and air conditioning contractor, or a structural engineer.

Wood-Destroying Insect Inspection
Have a licensed pest control operator perform a pest inspection prior to closing. It should reveal evidence of wood-destroying insects, if any, that could adversely affect the structure.

A survey provides accurate measurements of the property; its precise total area; the location of buildings and other improvements to the property; and any encroachments, easements and possible setback violations. You are typically responsible for paying for the survey. Examine the survey prior to closing to make sure the acreage and other conditions of the property match what you were told by the seller or real estate agents and what is shown in the purchase contract. You should also be aware that the title insurance company may exclude from coverage problems shown on the survey which are not resolved before closing

Virtually all lenders will require you to pay for an appraisal of the property to determine if its market value meets or exceeds the purchase price. Review the appraisal report prior to closing to make sure the value of the property, its square footage and features match what you were told by the seller or real estate agents and what is shown in the purchase contract.

Wells and Sewage Disposal Systems
If you are buying a property served by either a well or a septic system (not city water or sewer), you should have them inspected prior to closing. A well inspection and separate water test should be done to determine whether there is an adequate amount of water and water pressure for the property and if there are any harmful contaminants in the water. An examination of the septic system should determine if it is adequate to support the property and is properly performing. Repairs to these systems can be very expensive.

Radon is a radioactive gas that can be found in homes all over the United States. Any home can have a radon problem, regardless of its age or condition. Therefore, you should have the property tested for radon to make sure that any detectable radon is at or below EPA’s guidelines for an “acceptable” level.

Q: What is title insurance?
A: The lender will probably require you (the borrower) to purchase title insurance to protect its interests from potential title problems. Before issuing a title insurance policy, the title company will require the closing attorney to perform a title search to discover any problems with the title to the property. Problems found during the title search (such as unpaid udgments, taxes, mortgages, etc. on the property) must be corrected before closing.
    For a few dollars more you can also purchase your own title insurance policy to cover you from title problems with the property which may not have been discovered prior to closing. If a problem covered by your policy is discovered after closing, the title insurance company will help clear up the problem or compensate you for any losses you have sustained. Like any insurance policy, there may be exceptions in your coverage, so it is critical that you carefully read your policy and refer any questions to the closing attorney

Q: What if the seller wants to give me a nonwarranty, or quitclaim deed?
A: The deed transfers the seller’s interest in the property to you. There are many different types of deeds. The best one — the general warranty deed — contains the seller’s warranty that good title is being conveyed to you. A quitclaim (or non-warranty) deed contains no warranties at all; therefore, you accept title from the seller “as is.” A special warranty deed contains limited warranties from the seller. If you are given anything other than a full or general warranty deed, immediately consult with your attorney.

Q: What is a “homeowner’s association”?
A: If you buy in a residential subdivision or planned community, it is likely you will be joining a homeowner’s association. A homeowner’s association is a group of property owners that acts like a private local government, providing services or bene?ts to its members such as a clubhouse, pool or trails. Members pay for these bene?ts in accordance with the association’s bylaws. Homeowner’s associations may also regulate the use of common areas, paint colors fences, outbuildings, etc. By exercising their voting rights, members have input into decision-making.
    If you are purchasing property in a subdivision or planned community, prior to closing you should obtain documentation as to any dues, assessments, covenants, rules, restrictions, and services provided. If the real estate agent(s) or closing attorneys do not give you relevant documentation prior to closing, ask them for the most current copy and review it before you close.

Q: What happens if the property is damaged or destroyed after I sign the purchase contract but before closing?
A: Typically, the purchase contract requires that the property be in substantially the same or better condition at closing as on the date you contracted to buy it (normal wear and tear excepted). If the property is damaged or destroyed by ?re or other casualty prior to closing, the risk of loss is on the seller. The buyer has the option to wait for the seller to repair or reconstruct the property or to terminate the contract and recover any earnest money deposit.

Q: Who closes the transaction?
A: A real estate closing is completed when the seller conveys the title to you by deed, you give the purchase money to the seller, and the appropriate documents are recorded with the Register of Deeds of?ce in the county where the property is located. The closing will probably be handled by an attorney chosen by you. In many transactions, the attorney may also represent the lender and the seller. The seller may hire his or her own attorney or pay your attorney to prepare the deed to give to you. Make sure you know “up front” who the attorny. s representing. Others involved in the transaction may recommend or offer you ?nancial incentives to hire a particular closing attorney, but you have the ?nal word. Prior to closing, the seller should give the closing attorney a copy of the deed to the property. Also, if there is an outstanding mortgage on the property, the seller should give the attorney any personal information needed to obtain a loan payoff ?gure so any existing loan(s) can be paid off in full at closing. As the buyer, you will need to give the closing attorney a copy of your contract and contact information about your lender, any inspectors, or other persons who provided services in connection with the transaction.
    Since closing involves several complex phases (examination of the title, completion and explanation of legal documents, and resolution of any possible title problems), you should carefully consider having an attorney assist you throughout the process and during the closing. Also, read each closing document so you fully understand each step of your real estate transaction.
    If a non-attorney is handling your closing, that person may render only administrative services related to the transaction — not give you legal advice.

Q: What is a closing statement or “HUD-1”?
A: A closing statement is a document that summarizes all funds received by you and the seller at closing, and all funds paid by you and the seller for various expenses of the transaction (real estate agent commissions, loan payoffs, fees for inspections, property taxes, etc.). For all closings involving federally insured loans, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) requires that this information be reported on a form from the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) — a HUD-1 form.
    Typically, you must pay a portion of the property taxes, the cost of all inspections, and all costs associated with the loan, title search and closing. These costs include the appraisal fee, survey, pest inspection, lender fees, fees to establish an escrow balance for homeowner’s insurance, taxes and any required private mortgage insurance, attorney fees, title insurance, and recording fees. The seller normally pays the balance due on any existing loans, his portion of the taxes, commissions to real estate agents, fees for deed preparation, cancellation of existing liens, and revenue stamps payable to the state. In most transactions, payment of these fees is negotiable between the parties. However, if you are getting a VA or FHA loan, the lender may require the seller to pay particular closing costs, such as the pest inspection.

Q: I am being asked to put something on the HUD-1 that is different than what I agreed to. Is that ok?
A: Probably not. The HUD-1 should re?ect the agreement between the parties and match the terms set out in the purchase contract. You may be committing loan fraud if you make a false representation to a lender on the HUD-1, the loan application, or elsewhere in order to obtain a larger loan amount or a loan on more favorable terms than you are otherwise quali?ed for under the lender’s guidelines. Loan fraud is a federal crime punishable by up to 30 years in prison and $1 million in fines. If you are asked to do any of the following, refuse and immediately contact the North Carolina Real Estate Commission:

• create a false gift letter for down payment funds.
• make it appear you made a deposit when, in fact, you did not.
• give the seller a secret or even false or “forgivable” second mortgage.
• make payments outside of closing which are not disclosed on the HUD-1, such as additional fees paid to service providers, to the seller, or third parties.
• make a false statement that you will occupy the property.
• give false personal information about yourself to the lender.

Q: What is “prorating”?
A: Certain items (real estate taxes, some utility bills, occasionally special assessments, etc.) are prorated at closing. “Prorating” occurs when you and the seller are each responsible for a portion of an expense. For example, property taxes are assessed as of January 1 but not normally payable until the end of the year. The seller is responsible for his share of the property taxes from January 1 through the closing date. You will be responsible for the remainder of the year. Review the contract carefully to be sure you know what items, if any, will be prorated at closing.

Q: What are special assessments?
A: Local governmental units can assess property owners for certain improvements to their property such as sidewalks, sewer lines, street repairs, and drainage systems. Since these assessments run with the property, you should verify with the closing attorney before closing that there are no existing special assessments (either pending or con?rmed).

Q: If I’m a seller, when should I get my proceeds from the sale of my property?
A: The closing attorney may disburse funds immediately after closing has been completed, the title has been updated, and the documents have been recorded. Often, time may not permit the closing attorney to record the documents, update title, and disburse funds, or the lender may not be able to wire the loan proceeds, all in the same day. When this happens, a “dry closing” is sometimes held with the funds being disbursed the next business day. If you are a seller, you should discuss the timing of disbursements with the closing attorney in advance so you can be aware of any possible delays. If you are a buyer, be aware that the seller may not be willing to give you possession of the property until he receives his proceeds from the sale.

Q: What if I can’t close by the time stated on the contract?
A: If your purchase contract states that “time is of the essence” as to the closing date and you fail to close on that date (regardless of the reason), you will probably be considered in breach of the contract. Consequently, if your lender fails to provide the closing package in time for closing, you may unintentionally lose your chance to purchase the property. Likewise, if the seller cannot complete a major required repair prior to the stated closing date, the seller may lose the sale.
   If the contract does not have a “time is of the eessence” provision and the party who is having trouble is making a good-faith effort to close, courts have allowed the contract to remain viable for a reasonable period of time after the designated closing date.
    Consequently, buyers and sellers who are considering including a “time is of the essence” provision in the purchase contract should consult with their attorney to be sure they understand its full impact.



The North Carolina Real Estate Commission
P.O. Box 17100
Raleigh, North Carolina 27619-7100
Web Site:
Other Real Estate Related Links

Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate
Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate
Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate

Short Sale Specialist: Jerry Lee Hatley
Foreclosure is NOT
your only option!

Short Sale Incentives:
Why Banks will Give You Money to Sell the Home You Can't Afford

The nation’s leading mortgage lenders are extending extras for short sale transactions employed as an alternative to foreclosure – both in the form of monetary incentives for borrowers and streamlined procedures for real estate agents. read more.......

Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate
Jerry Lee Hatley | RE/MAX Mountain Realty | Maggie Valley NC Real Estate
Links and Areas of Interest
Maggie Valley NC Real Estate Waynesville NC Real Estate Asheville NC Real Estate Asheville NC Distressed Properties
Maggie Valley NC Distressed Properties Waynesville NC Distressed Properties Great Smoky Mountains National Park Blue Ridge Parkway
Local WNC Restaurants Asheville Regional Airport Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport WNC Tourist Attractions
Laurel Ridge Country Club McGhee Tyson Airport Knoxville Piedmont Triad International Airport WNC Hiking & Walking Trails
Maggie Valley NC Country Club The Pisgah National Forest Charlotte-Douglas International Airport Lake Junaluska Golf Course
Waynesville NC Country Club Springdale Country Club Nantahala National Forest Blue Ridge Parkway Fall Foilage
Iron Tree Golf Course Wheels Through Time Museum Ghost Town In The Sky Biltmore House and Gardens
Folkmoot USA Museum of North Carolina Handicrafts The Grove Park Inn WNC Wineries Orchards & Farms
Maggie Valley NC Vacation Rentals Haywood Arts Regional Theatre Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel WNC Local News
WNC Weather & Outdoors Report WNC Schools WNC Area Maps Asheville NC Restaurants
WNC Health Care WNC Employment WNC Calendar of Events Waynesville NC Restaurants
Maggie Valley, NC Gas Prices Asheville, NC Gas Prices Waynesville, NC Gas Prices Maggie Valley NC Restaurants
Haywood County Fire Departments Haywood County Police Departments Local Lenders Cherokee NC Restaurants
Haywood County Utilities Jerry's Real Estate Blog CDPE Related Links Why List With Jerry Lee Hatley?
List Your Property About RE/MAX Why use a REALTOR®? How To Pass Your Home Inspection
Selling Tips Buying Tips Mortgage Modification Q & A Home Inspections Q&A
HARP HAFA HAMP 1031 Exchange
2MP Real Estate Closings Q&A Subdivision & Planned Communities Q&A Condos and Townhouses Q&A
Working With Real Estate Agents Fair Housing Earnest Money Deposits Q&A Mortgage Glossary
Real Estate Glossary Link Partners (coming soon) Mortgage Calculator AOL
Yahoo Google MSN Site Map (coming soon)
Jerry Lee Hatley: CRS Jerry Lee Hatley: ABR Jerry Lee Hatley: EPRO Jerry Lee Hatley: SRES Jerry Lee Hatley: GRI Jerry Lee Hatley: SFR Jerry Lee Hatley: REALTOR Jerry Lee Hatley: CDPE Jerry Lee Hatley: EQUATOR
Copyright© 2013    All Rights Reserved    :::    powered by: WNC Web Design    :::    Terms of Use    :::    IDX Admin Login